Pieced Pastimes: Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese

Grilled cheese has long been a favorite in this house. 


For this variation, I combine tomatoes, peppers, basil and two different cheeses.


I used homemade 'Vermont Cheddar' bread from the 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' book to make this sandwich (no affiliation - I just happen to love this book) ......


.....but any good toasting bread will work.


I prefer to use freshly chopped basil, but the grocery stores so-called 'fresh' was wilted and past it's prime - so I opted for dried instead.

Now for the recipe....

Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese

Makes 4 Sandwiches:

8 slices Bread
4 slices Hoffman Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 slices McCadam Muenster Cheese
2 Roma Tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
8 Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped (or 2 Tbsp Dried Basil)
Olive Oil Spray

- Layer bread with one slice of Cheddar, a few tomato slices, chopped peppers and basil. Cover with a slice of Muenster and another piece of bread. Repeat for other 3 sandwiches. Heat a pan to medium/low. Spritz olive oil on outsides of bread and slowly toast in pan. Once golden, turn and repeat on other side.


Don't rush the cooking time, as a slower cooked sandwich will yield a nice golden brown bread with a marvelously melted cheese and vegetable filling.
Enjoy!



Linking up to the following parties:
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Oh this has to be delicious. I must try this. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party? Hope to see you there!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE grilled cheese and this version looks divine! Can't wait to try it. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I love tomato and basil anything! This would be good anytime, but I can't wait till summer and make it with garden tomatoes! Pinned. So happy to have you share with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
^ Scroll to Top