Pieced Pastimes: Chocolate Haystacks aka Birds Nests

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chocolate Haystacks aka Birds Nests

When my children were young, I would make these Chocolate Haystacks aka Birds Nests as a special spring time treat.
 There are many different versions of this recipe.
 Today, I used a very simple recipe with only 3 ingredients - well, 4 if you include the jelly beans.
Melt 2 cups of milk chocolate chips in a large bowl.  Stir in 5 ounces of chow mein noodles (the crunchy kind) and 1/2 cup of chopped lightly salted peanuts and mix until everything is coated in the chocolate.
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper. Push the center of each one with a spoon to make an indentation like a nest. Leave out to dry. Add jelly beans or other small candies to mimic eggs.
Some alternatives to the chow mein noodles could be potato sticks, shaved coconut and miniature marshmallows or Fiber One Original cereal. Dried fruit such as raisins or cherries make a nice addition to these as well.
Semi-sweet or butterscotch chocolate chips can be used in place of the milk chocolate. Another change could be to melt peanut butter into the chocolate instead of using chopped peanuts.
As you can see, the sky is the limit with the variations on this recipe.

Linking up to the following lovely blogs:
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. I just have to tell you for dinner tonight I fixed the Cashew Chicken Stir Fry from your previous post. IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!!! Husband says I could fix it again tomorrow night. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edie,
      That recipe was actually a Saturday Sparks featured link from Kay at Love Food Will Share. Glad to hear that it was "DELICIOUS'. I will be giving it a try.
      Thanks for visiting,
      Suzanne

      Delete
  2. I like your version of the bird nests. Different than the majority who are using rice krispies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see your variation on the "nest", Most I've seen use the rice krispies.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Suzanne, these are so sweet. They remind me of when my kids were little- now I can make them for the grands! Thanks for reminding me about these fun Easter treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. I'll be making something similar with the kids this Easter

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so cute! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time.
    Emily & Erin @ elizabethjoandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are one of my favourite treats at Easter. Yum!

    Thanks so much for sharing your post at the Say G’Day Saturday linky party. I've just shared this on Google+ and Pinterest.

    Hope to see you again this Saturday!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
^ Scroll to Top