Pieced Pastimes: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - A Healthier Version

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - A Healthier Version

We all have our weaknesses and sweets happen to be mine. If I thought I could get away with it, I would have dessert and skip the meal. 
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are  right up there in my top 10 favorite cookies, but the high fat and sugar content is not so desirable.
For this recipe, I replaced some of the so-called 'bad' ingredients with 'better choices',  threw in a bit of trial and error and some final tweaking.
The end result is a soft, chewy and moist cookie that satisfies my sweet tooth.
They are not as rich and decadent as their full fat counterparts, but instead a lighter alternative.
They are very filling and could be eaten in place of a granola or breakfast bar.
Now, onto the recipe.....

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Makes 20 Cookies

- 1/2 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup finely ground Flaxseed
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 medium Banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg (or 1/4 cup Egg Substitute i.e., Egg Beaters)
- 1 1/2 cups Regular Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup Raisins (or other dried fruits)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Cream banana with brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir in applesauce, vanilla and egg. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the liquid ingredients. Once mixed, fold in the Oats, Raisins and Walnuts. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until a light golden brown. Place the cookies onto a cooling rack and watch them disappear.
Fresh, baked cookies and a cold glass of milk - one of life's simple pleasures.

Linking up to the following inspiring blogs:
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, these look and sound so fabulous!

    Thanks for sharing! (Found you through the Say G'day Link Party).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these cookies and the ingredients look wonderfully healthy. I'm with you, Suzanne, I love oatmeal cookies - there is something about the texture of them that I find quite addicting. I haven't had them in ages because of the calories but now I can! I almost never bake but this will lure me into trying, lol. As much as I love cooking, I'm a terrible baker. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day lovely lady! That looks delicious-I like the addition of flaxseed. I've just pinned your post and it is also on my Pinterest Page on Facebook.

    Thanks for sharing at the Say G'day Saturday Linky Party!

    Best wishes for a fabulous week,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls love oatmeal cookies! Yum! Pinned! Thanks for being a part of our party. Please join us tonight at 7 pm. We love having you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
^ Scroll to Top