I veganized an old recipe of mine and have to say that I like this version better than the original. 😊
This recipe makes an old-fashioned hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of banana bread. The loaf is dense and chewy and bursting with sweet and tart flavors.
It's delicious plain, slathered with vegan butter or a nice spread of vegan cream cheese.
Now, onto the recipe:
Berry Banana Bread - Vegan
- 2 Flax Eggs - 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 6 Tbsp Water
- 1 1/2 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 ripe Bananas
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Blueberries - my favorite is Maine Wild Blueberries
- 1/2 cup reduced sugar Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9" loaf pan with Coconut Oil Spray. Make Flax Eggs by mixing Flaxseed Meal and Water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken for 10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mash bananas with a fork in a medium bowl. Add applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir until combined. Add flax eggs and banana mixture in with dry ingredients. Stir in walnuts and berries. Don’t over mix - stir until just combined. Batter will be thick. Pour/scoop into loaf pan. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.