I am in the middle of redoing one of my bathrooms and wanted a pegboard on the wall. I found a lovely tutorial on Kris's 'Simply Prim' blog and decided to give it a whirl - with a few small changes. My bathroom is pretty small, so I had to make my board just 24" wide and I spaced the pegs much closer than hers. The end result is below.
My husband found me scavenging through his 'burn pile' for some old wood and was tickled pink that I was doing some home dec without having to go to the store! For this, he says that I am his dream woman!
I came up with this old board, which my DH cut and drilled for me. For the pegs, we cut the tines of an old hay rake. We sanded the square ends enough to fit in the round holes with a little persuasion from a hammer.
For the finish, I did some light sanding (keeping the old blue paint), stained it with Minwax Early American and then a couple coats of tung oil. A quick buffing with a clean rag gave it a nice patina.
This was a fun project and I look forward to many more 'burn pile' adventures.