Sunday, April 17, 2011

Texturized Spring Wreath Tutorial

Here we are half way through April and it was around 18 degrees last night.  I needed something to warm up my spirit, so I created this Spring wreath.
Combining different fabrics and textures soothes me in some way..
Burlap, muslin, cotton and linen are used in the making of this multi-textured wreath.

Now for the details:


Start with a square wreath form. I cut my own from a piece of foam insulation board (available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc...,. ). Just mark the size of the square that you want and cut with a utility knife.If necessary, sand the edges for a smoother finish.
To create the 'Bubble Wrap' fabric on the wreath, you will need a gridded cooling rack, a piece of cotton fabric - approx 3 times larger than the rack and some fusible webbing.
 Begin by soaking the fabric in water and then hand ringing the material out to a dampened state.
Lay the dampened fabric face down onto the cooling rack. Starting in the center of the rack, press the fabric down into the grid. I used the end of a wooden spoon to do this.
 Continue to work your way out from the center, pushing the fabric down into each individual grid.
Work with the fabric by pulling and pushing as needed, so that it does not come out of the already filled grids.
Continue to fill all the grids of the rack with the dampened fabric. Once this is completed, allow the fabric to dry. I left mine overnight.
Once the fabric has dried, apply the fusbile webbing (per manufacturer's instructions) to the wrong side of the fabric.
 This is how the fabric looks from the right side of the fabric after the fusible webbing has been applied.
Starting on one side, slowly pull the fabric out of the cooling rack.
 You have now created your own 'Bubble Wrap Fabric'. I have used this on other projects through the years and it always looks great.
Using scissors, cut the 'Bubble Wrap Fabric' into 2 pieces - the size needed to wrap the two smaller ends of the wreath form. Remove the paper backing from the fusible webbing and spray the wrong side of the 'Bubble Wrap Fabric' with spray adhesive and adhere the fabric to the wreath form.
Using a hot glue gun, apply fabric (I used some printed linen for my wreath) to the longest ends of the wreath form. Fold a hem onto the ends that are against the 'Bubble Wrap Fabric' to cover the raw edges and give it a nicer finish.
 Being someone who does not care to reinvent the wheel,  I made flowers using a great video tutorial I found on the 'Freckled Laundry' blog. Burlap and muslin were my fabrics of choice.

These were then hot glued onto the wreath with some simple greens for added visual texture.
 
This wreath was a quick and easy project and lifted my creative spirit. I hope you enjoy it.

Linking up to the following parties:
  
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!     freckled laundry The DIY Show Off
UndertheTableandDreaming  The Girl Creative 

Entered into:

 
Until next time ~ Suzanne.
Print Friendly and PDF

53 comments:

  1. WOW! I love that bubble wrap fabric technique!! So many ideas swirling in my head for that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've ever seen bubble wrap fabric. Love how you've mixed it with the burlap and rosettes. This is a darling wreath! Great job!
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome project and tute, Suzanne!

    Love your new header and blog look too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS! I love that texture technique with the styrofoam...genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unique and so cool. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wreath is so pretty! I love it's simplicity, shape and textures! I'm featuring it later today on my blog.
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing. You have blown me away with the bubblewrap fabric idea! I love it.

    I love the wreath, it's beautiful.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I'm following your blog now and will be back often.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh myyyyyyy! Your wreath is absolutely amazing. I also love texture and cant wait to try the bubble wrap fabric. Great tutorial AND cant wait to explore your blog....mmmm time to go get some tea and sit and browse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome you should link up to Jami's fabric party at Freckled Laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just seen at spoons and spatulas, this s gorgeous. I love the bubblewrap fabric idea! so clever!

    Katie
    www.katiescreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, i LOVE this! love the mix of different textures...and the bubble wrap fabric is too cool!!!

    thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on my burlap & sharpie pillow ~ i really appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just come to your blog from Katie's Creative.. and oh my lord! I NEED one of these in my life!

    must... go... make... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully done Suzanne...I love this. You are so talented.

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very unique wreath. And I just love your rosettes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is gorgeous and a great tutorial too! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suzanne - This is simply gorgeous and I love the fabric treatment. So clever and creative. I have featured this today. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is the most beautiful wreath I have ever seen!!!

    The linen print fabric is gorgeous and the bubble wrap technique is just beyond words!!!!

    I'm visiting for the first time from Someday Crafts!!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks awesome!! Great tutorial and pictures. So glad that I found yur blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for sharing this fun project. This frame is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You are so creative, Suzanne. It's gorgeous! Thank you so much for joining the Earthy Essentials party! :)

    Please don't send the cold here. I'm ready for spring! ;)
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this! It is simply beautiful!

    Cara

    http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic. This looks stunning and right out of a catalog. You are very crafty. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks fantastic and bubble wrap fabric who would have thought. I have to try that! Soon! Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Suzanne! The wreath is fabulous! I love the printed fabric and the bubble wrap is so creative. Thank you for sharing this adorable wreath at my party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a unique and beautiful wreath. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this whole thing is spectacular! I love the rectangular shape and the bubble wrap! so awesome.

    new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. stopping by from freckled Laundry... I am SO loving the wreath. and the bubble wrap technique- I dont know how on earth you thought of it- but its fabulous! I need to make a gift for someone soon and I think I will have to use this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE THIS-
    It will fit perfectly in Miss G4s shabby chic room.

    Can I feature you on my blog www.itssoverycheri.com ???

    I found you when
    I went to enter at Freckled Laundry.

    Cheri
    www.itssoverycheri.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowwwww that is absolutely beautiful!!
    I love your tutorial and the bubble wrap
    technique is awesome ~
    Thank you for sharing with us ~
    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! What a great, new, unique method of making fabric; I've never seen anything like your bubble wrap technique.

    Thanks so much for sharing; your tutorial is very easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The great projects and ideas that I find on the blogs never ceases to amaze me. Love this and the 'bubble wrap' fabric is to die for! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your wreath is STUNNING! I adore it in every way. You have been featured at CraftOManiac. winks- jen

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is amazing! I saw you featured at CraftOManiac! Cool project :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fanstastic wreath. I love the way that you did the texture. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  36. that is so cool and the bubble wrap fabric is the neatest idea. It turned out super.

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW! This is fantastic! It's GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I can't wait to try this!! I love it! Amazing job! New follower here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I featured you today. Grab a featured button (in my footer). You should enter this in the May DIY Club party. It starts May 1. www.thediyclub.com

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  39. That bubble wrap fabric idea is brilliant ... can't figure out how you even came up with that idea! Thanks for sharing. Found you on It's So Very Cheri.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this - it's so pretty!! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. I am a new follower - your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, friend! This wreath is beautiful! Btw, I'm admiring all your creative projects here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? I hope to see you at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/05/creative-bloggers-party-hop-050111.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great project! Thanks for sharing - I'm now following for even more inspiration!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome project!
    I just featured your winning wreath on my blog: www.redberrybarn.blogspot.com.
    Have a great day!
    Jenn {from Canvas Corp}

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is my first visit to your blog, I didn't see any quilt (yet),but I love it already, specially your bubble wrap technique.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  45. Could you just send this to me?! I love, love this wreath! You are so talented, this is so unique and beautiful, I just can't get over it! I love your blog and I am going to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, this looks amazing! So creative, love it all! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  47. hi ya ;) i love this technique wow i have so many ideas in my head that you could use this on .. would love a cushion made with bubble fabric ohhhhhhh! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is so pretty and creative ... thanks for sharing it :)
    Your new follower , Francine

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh My Gosh that is definitely an out of the box thinking. I love it. And there are so many ways to re-cycle in this project.
    Thank you for sharing and Great tute, very comprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this, the roses are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top