Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Winter Mantel

Keeping a cozy feeling to the family room was my plan for this winter mantel.
I started with the 'Pom-Pom Wreath' hanging it on my vintage vanity mirror. I made the wreath following a wonderful tutorial for a 'DIY Pom-Pom Wreath' by Edie at 'Life in Grace'.
I used a chunky cream wool yarn for the pom-poms, tied them onto a wire wreath form and added a gray satin ribbon for a bow. As Edie suggested on her tutorial, I pulled some of the yarn to give them a less uniform look. I really like the final somewhat frumpy look.
Sprigs of pussy willows were placed inside white pitchers. A crumpled sheet of newspaper was used instead of floral foam to keep the branches in place.
This rusty old milk jug has seen better days but in my mind she is more beautiful now than when she was new.
I added a stack of birch logs to help anchor the combination of whites, grays and creams.
Old books are turned to show their gracefully aged pages and placed in the mantel cubby.
More turned books are stacked to give height to the branch filled pitcher.
A full view of the 'Winter Mantel' bringing warmth into our home during this chilly winter season.

Linking up to the following parties:
Print Friendly and PDF

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful mantle, love the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty all looks wonderful ! I do love your header photo ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your white pom pom wreath! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mantle is wonderful. Like how you used the mirror. Bblessings! Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great winter mantel design! I love the pieces of nature mixed with the whites ... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mantel! I am a new follower! I found your link at the “It’s Party Time” party. I would love for you to link up to my weekly linky party Fluster Muster on Wednesday’s @ http://www.FlusterBuster.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't started redecorating yet. Pussy willows ... great idea!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mantel is perfect for winter! Lots of texture and bits of nature, I really like it a lot! I am still working on mine, I tweak and tweak forever and it's already mid January!

    I just found your blog, it's wonderful!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pom pom wreath (need to make me one of those!) and the birch logs and pussy willow! I have used birch bark in my January tablescapes and decorating, love it!
    Cathy @ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice wreath. Your mantle looks very cozy, just as you had wanted. I love your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your rock fireplace and that mantle is to die for! I also am in love with your blog header! :) Thanks for linking up! Clydia @ Three Mango Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that wreath! I saw a similar one at Anthro....but yours is so much cuter! Thanks for inspiring me today!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous wreath. And I adore that mirror on your mantel. I love that it is still attached to the dresser arm things (which probably have a name, but I have no idea what they are called).

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cute!!! i love the yarn you used for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty mantle! Love the pussy willow branches and your pottery!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pom pom wreath.

    xoxo
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. the wreath turned out really cute! Thanks for joining in the pom pm party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. New follower, I love that old truck in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love every bit you placed ~ from the birch logs to the lovely pitcher!

    Have a winter wonderland weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mantel is so warm and cozy. I love your wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pompom wreath is so fun! This mantel is very peaceful and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your pom pom wreath and beautiful mantle!! Thanks so much for sharing it at "IT's Party Time linky Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I just adore your beautiful Winter mantle, especially the touches of ironstone!! And I really love how your pom-pom wreath turned out!!
    Hope you have a lovely night.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top