I wanted to create a vegan version of this popular food and am very happy with the end results.
Stir fried veggies, vegan cheese, sweet potato, black beans and simple herbs and spices fill each pocket for a hearty and delicious meal.
I served this with a side of vegan sour cream, but found the calzone tasted delicious on it's own and really didn't need anything else.
Now, onto the recipe:
Vegan Veggie Calzone
Makes 4 Calzones
- Pizza Dough - homemade or store bought
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cooked, cooled sweet potato, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 tbsp vegan parmesan - save for topping
- Sauté onions and garlic in non-stick pan (adding a tablespoon or two of water as needed to keep from sticking) until they are nicely browned and caramelized. Add red peppers and mushrooms and cook until just soft. Add onion powder, basil, sweet potato, black beans and spinach and cook until spinach is just starting to wilt. Remove from heat. Preheat oven to 400°. Divide pizza dough into 4 even sections and roll out into 8"circles. Spoon veggie mix onto one side of each dough circle, keeping them away from the edge. Add vegan cheeses to top of veggies. Fold dough over and press edges together with a fork. Place the filled pockets onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spritze with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of vegan parmesan over the tops. Bake for 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Enjoy!