I think a nice Bowl Rack is a must have for any Prim lover, so I decided to make one for myself (with some help from DH). My usual wood source - aka 'The Burning Pile'- is currently covered under a layer of snow, so I had to come up with another source for my wood selection. Found this 'seen better days' bookcase and decided it could be transformed into my new rack.
We took apart the bookcase and cut the top shelf into the 2 rails. We then cut an angle into the 2 sides and gave the middle shelf a cutout so that it is narrower than the bottom shelf and gives it a little more detail. We put the bowl rack together and filled the nail holes with cut pieces of dowel and then sanded them down. This is what we ended up with.
For the finish, I applied a base coat of 'Okra' and followed this with a coat of black and wiped it down to the shade you see. I filled it with some of my favorite things and really love how it came out.
An added bonus with this rack is that I was able to cover up the ugly thermostat. Now you see it.
And, now you don't.
This now hangs in our family room. My next big project is to strip the wallpaper and paint the walls in there. It has high ceilings and I have been putting it off, as the ladder work is not my favorite thing anymore.
Until next time ~ Suzanne.