Saturday, July 17, 2010

Chair Makeover

Our laptop is set up on a sofa table in the family room with a wooden bench for a seat. My kids have never liked the bench and tell me their bottom side hurts when they sit on it for any length of time.
Along comes this 'well loved' chair that I found at a local antique shop. The 'gilding' really wasn't working for me and the padded seat had been badly neglected, but I figured with a little TLC it could be 'loved' once more.

Here she is now after a fresh coat of paint and a newly upholstered seat. I knew from the moment I saw her that the printed linen from my throw pillow would be perfect for the seat.

I gave it a coat of 'Mopboard Black' followed by a coat of 'Anamite'. To give it some character, I added some 'gentle distressing' with some sandpaper - just enough to let the black show through. I finished it with a couple coats of 'Minwax Polycrylic Clear Satin'.

We saw this cute little guy the other day feasting on some ferns. We watched each other for 10 minutes before he went along his merry way. I have seen more deer this year than any other - not sure why, but it's always such a nice surprise.

Linked to Someday Crafts and Tatertots and Jello and Its So Very Cheri and Funky Junk Interiors and Thrifty Decor Chick

Until next time ~ Suzanne. Print Friendly and PDF

15 comments:

  1. Love this! I've been wanting to recover our dining room chairs forever but am too afraid of messing up and wasting fabric. Was this tricky? Where did you buy the fabric? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You´ve done a great job! Very nice indeed. Congratulations.

    It´s so nice to have deers so close, however we must hope they there just because they feel safe. Otherwise it would probably mean they have not been able to find enoug food in they own habitat.

    Lovely chair!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep you are right that fabric looks awesome on your "new" chair.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this redo and the fabric is wonderful. Wish I had a chair this stylish. Wish I had some of that fabric. Wish I was as clever as you, lol! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that linen is perfect for that chair! I love the makeover you've done on it. It's so beautiful!

    How wonderful that you see deer. I miss that so much in the house we are in now. Living out there where you do, you probably see lots of wildlife. That would be so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the chair and I am adding it to my favs list.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am adding this to my favorites.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the fabric! You did a wonderful job restoring this beauty! You started with great "bones" and made it dazzle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this chair. I'm your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by my place and if you are so inclined, please follow me in return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I LOVE the fabric on this one! Loads of graphic punch! That's one great looking chair.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw this on funky junk i. Great redo. Love the colors and fabric. I have a chair waiting in the garage. I'm checking out everyone's projects before I decide what to do. I think red under coat, black paint over and then sand. Seat, toile?

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad you had the fabric from the pillow! It looks perfect at it's new home!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy seeing your makeovers. Such an eye you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to let you know that I have featured this project on my blog for my post revealing my August bookmarks. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! The fabric is so gorgeous!

    ~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top