Sunday, July 22, 2018

Coyotes Among Us

Our property is home to many of God's creatures including coyotes.

We see them from time to time during the day but, it's the nights they own.


Our game cameras are filled with pictures of them out on the prowl.

The cover of darkness is their playground.



Their eerie sounds are undeniable and being awakened by their chilling howls can be quite unsettling.

We have mixed emotions about them.

While we appreciate their wild nature, we are also mindful of it.



I snapped this picture while on a morning walk.

It's been over a week since I've seen any sign of my sweet dancing fawn.

Coyote's steps along side deer tracks are never a good sign.

My hope is that the little guy just moved on and didn't fall victim to the prairie wolves.

Our window into the wild shows us the beauty of nature, but also the harsh realities.

There is nothing I can do to change their plight, but my heart aches for them.


This nest is tucked deep inside a low lying bush.

Just days ago, it held a doting mother and four tiny blue eggs.

Today it is empty and the barren roost speaks volumes.

I suspect a raccoon or fox may be to blame.

They say that the coyote provides critical ecological benefits such as limiting populations of small animals that wreak havoc on the bird population, among other positive effects.

I suppose there would be many more empty nests if it weren't for these roaming packs.

Every creature has a purpose and there is good with the bad.

We just have to learn to co-exist.

After all, this is their home just as it is ours.



















SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Understandable, yet still unsettling. I like to dream up my own happy endings, much like you have with the deer, at least.
    On the other hand, I have yet to learn of ANY predator of the Canada geese, and we are inundated with them along our river and suburban areas. I am not a fan of them, nor their ability to propagate in such large numbers!
    Have a great week, Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita - I have heard of the mess that the Canada Geese can leave behind. We have a few from time to time, but they haven't been a problem for us. Perhaps, our coyotes are keeping them away.
      Enjoy your week as well.

      Delete
  2. Suzanne, we are surrounded by coyotes too! We hear them as soon as the sun begins setting. We set up a camera at our last house (here in the same town) and the minute the sun went down they were right at our yard. We just have to be super careful with our little cats and dogs...otherwise, the coyotes do serve a purpose and I'm grateful that they are able to live with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey - Sundown certainly seems to be their 'time' and yes, I agree with being careful with pets. Our little ones would be such easy prey for them.
      Take Care.

      Delete
  3. Hi - I really appreciate this post about the wildlife. I hate to see anything killed and eaten and it makes me very sad, but every creature serves a purpose on this planet and the predators are necessary. I love them - especially the dog related ones - but hate that beautiful prey animals are killed. Thank you for posting in a positive way!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top